Residential Load Calcs and Duct Design for Building Departments
February 21 @ 9:00 am
The California Energy Code and Mechanical Code both require formal load calculations, equipment selection, and duct designs. Historically, this has been poorly enforced because building departments have been at a loss for what to ask for and how to check it. With the rise of heat pump installations, good design is even more important. More and more building departments are trying to enforce these requirements. This class will cover the design process, what to ask for and what to check.
Target audience: building department code enforcement personnel, HVAC contractors, HERS raters, energy consultants.
- Review the overall compliance process including prescriptive and performance approaches.
- Understand how HVAC fits into the overall compliance of homes.
- Understand the code requirements for residential HVAC design
- Understand the importance of proper equipment sizing
- Understand the importance of good airflow and duct design
- Learn how to prioritize your time checking these items.