County of Ventura Environmental Grant
Environmental Grant Winners Announced! The Environmental Grant application is now CLOSED.
For more information about the winners, please visit their websites listed below:
Deadline - December 20, 2022
The County of Ventura is pleased to announce that $45,000 in funding is available for local environmental projects or activities. The funding is made possible through the County of Ventura Environmental Grant Program, and individual grants awards will be capped at $15,000. Eligible projects or activities must support wildlife habitat restoration, species conservation, environmental education and stewardship, and/or address climate change impacts. Funds are to be used for shovel-ready, ongoing or one-time projects and activities. Organizations that do not typically qualify or have difficulty competing for traditional grant programs, whose focus is on environmental diversity, equity, and inclusion, address removing barriers and providing access to underrepresented communities, have an education component, and are interactive will receive prioritization.
To be considered for a Grant award, the organization must meet the eligibility requirements listed below and submit an application via this online form by Tuesday, December 20, 2022, at 5:00 PM (PT). If the Grant Program has remaining funds or program funding is increased, additional Environmental Grant Program rounds will be created utilizing the same criteria and new due dates. The initial Grant awards will be announced no later than Friday, January 13, 2023.
Submittal of an application is not a guarantee that an applicant will receive a Grant. Funds are limited, and Grants will be awarded to qualified applicants based on points awarded by the Sustainability Division and a Grant Selection Committee.
To be eligible for a Grant award, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Represent school, nonprofit organization, or established community organization and institution.
- Project or activity occurs within Ventura County.
- Project or activity supports wildlife habitat restoration, species conservation, environmental education and stewardship, and/or address climate change impacts.
- Completed within twelve months of the grant award.
There is no limit to the types of project or activities that are allowed as long as they meet the eligibility requirements stated above. Examples of projects or activities include native and drought tolerant tree plantings, native habitat restoration, establishing school or community vegetable and pollinator gardens, beach and creek cleanups, compost and waste reduction programs, etc.
Awardees will be selected by the County of Ventura Sustainability Division and a Grant Selection Committee composed of subject matter experts from County Departments/Agencies and points will be awarded based on the following:
- Supports rare, threatened, endangered, or native species (Up to 10 pts)
- Supports multiple species (Up to 10 pts)
- Supports pollinators like Monarch butterflies and bees (Up to 10 pts)
- Restores local habitat types, particularly wetlands (Up to 10 pts)
- Includes a public or youth educational component (Up to 10 pts)
- Addresses climate change impacts (Up to 10 pts)
- Includes an interactive/hands-on component (Up to 10 pts)
- Removes barriers and provides access to underrepresented communities (Up to 10 pts)
- Project is on-the-ground, or activity is ready to implement (Up to 10 pts)
- First-time grant applicant (10 pts)
Use of Funds
Examples of uses for funds include the following:
- Materials for project or activity (Tools, trees, plants, etc.)
- Educational materials (Translation, printing, graphic design, etc.)
- Permit costs
- Supplies for project or activity (Tables and chairs, sustainable options for supplies, food, refreshments, etc.)
Awardees must agree to provide an activity summary report no later than December 22, 2023. Awardees will be asked to provide the following:
- Description of the project or activity
- Metrics of activities performed
- Number of attendees
- Project or activity photos
- Statement of expenditures including copies of receipts
Contact Heather Allen at email@example.com for additional information.